Looking back on 2013
I have to say that 2013 was an amazing yet challenging year for me. Looking back, I would probably do some things differently in respects to my business. I learned that starting a new business with a newborn is really really stupid. There, I said it.
On one hand, I learned that life changes with a baby and I can no longer do everything on my own. I learned my limitations. On the other hand, I learned how to be a mother and how to balance both business and family.
Even though I say I would do things differently, I don’t think I would be where I am had I not done things as they played out.
The Good of 2013
1. I got to know the little girl who will one day be a great woman (my daughter, of course).
2. I made some amazing friends in both my community and through my business.
3. I created new business partnerships – finding amazing teachers and volunteers to work with.
4. I learned about my small town communities, both in Redlands and Forest Falls.
5. I made some great financial investments in inventory and fixtures.
The Bad of 2013
Along with starting a new business comes the sacrifices.
1. I sacrificed spending time with my family.
2. I sacrificed working on the books I planned to write.
3. I sacrificed financial freedom.
4. I sacrificed completing our home renovation.
The Plan for 2014
I have been making preparations for several months in order to take some time away from my business to spend with my parents. I moved out at 18 and haven’t spent much time around them in 20 years. Now that my daughter is becoming aware, I want her to get to know her grandparents and I want to get to know my parents again.
I’ve been weighing the pros and cons of my business. Luckily, the pros outweigh the cons, so I’ve stepped past the point where I was considering closing up shop. I have way too much time and money invested in the business to just walk away. I feel like the business is on the verge of doing something great and I can’t give up on it yet.
I signed a new lease for a new location and we will be moving at the end of February. It scares the crap out of me to sign a 2 year lease, but it is reassuring that my rent will be the same as what we are paying now.
Over the next year, I plan to bring on a few business partners so I can spend more time with my family and write those darn books!
Other than that, I plan to have more adventures with my family.
I hope you all have a wonder 2014. I have confidence that this year will be a prosperous year for those of us who work hard.