Chart Changes to Bare Essentials: Bras

I’m so glad I have been using testers to help me determine the fit of my 3 piece cup. After collecting everyone’s data, I realized every person’s size was off by 2 cup sizes. I used the wire and cup size chart from my book and low and behold, I find a mistake.

I don’t think it would affect the drafting in the book, but I did discover that my numbers for the bust diameter is off by 1 full number. For example a diameter of 11.5 would actually be 12.5 on my chart. That could be causing people to be using the wrong wires or making the wrong size.

I just can’t believe it has taken me nearly 3 years to find this mistake. I don’t know how big of a difference that will make since many people had a hard time taking accurate measurements of that amount.

I will definitely be updating the book by the end of the year.

For all my testers, I’ll be sending you the updated patterns by the end of the weekend. I’m almost finished with the full pattern. I just have the back band to complete.

  1. You wrote an excellent book and I am happy to help test the new pattern. I am delighted that there are people like you who share their expertise… despite the occasional error. You are doing a wonderful thing for the sewers out here who venture into bra sewing – it's NOT that hard and is very rewarding. I hope we can encourage many more people to join the crowd. Many of us starting sewing bras when RTW was impossible to find in our size, but many more women might give it a try if they had more confidence in getting a good fit.

Leave a Reply